- Chapters
in Section III discuss evaluation in instructional design and provide you
with three evaluation models: CIPP, Five-Domain, and Kirkpatrick’s
Training Evaluation model. Search for at least two other models used for
evaluation and summarize these models. Describe how you would use them to
evaluate your instruction.
Brinkerhoff’s Success Case Method
deals with having to determine what works and what doesn’t work or what needs
to be fixed in instruction. According to its founder, Robert Brinkerhoff, the
success case method (SCM) “is a quick and simple process that combines analysis
of extreme groups with case study and storytelling…to find out how well some
organizational initiative is working (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012) . In order to
determine what works, there would have to be a comparison between case studies
that are similar that were successful and the ones that were not successful. There
is a five step process in Brinkerhoff’s Success Case Method. In step 1, you
must work with stakeholders in order to determine what program is going to be
observed and evaluated and what approach is going to be taken in order to make
a plan a successful case study. An important thing in this step is coming up
with a budget and time frame for the study. Everyone has to come to an
agreement about everything in step 1 in order to be successful with the rest of
the steps. In step 2, a visual impact model will be made that points out the
goals, objectives, impacts, and outcomes that are expected along the way. In the
3rd step, a research survey will be conducted. The survey will
consist of the best and worst cases. Data from the surveys will be collected
and analyzed to see what the surveyors had to say about some of the different
cases that they found to be successful and unsuccessful for them. The 4th
step is to set up phone interviews with multiple success cases and a few unsuccessful
cases. The purpose of the 4th step is to gain detailed information
necessary for documenting, with empirical evidence, the success case stories (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012) . During the interviews,
it is best to make note of what was used that worked, what outcomes happened,
what was the value, what other factors helped, and any suggestions. The last
step is to write out what all information was found from the evaluations, data,
and surveys.
Patton’s Utilization-Focused
Evaluation (U-FE) was discovered by Michael Patton in the 1970s. The purpose of
U-FE is to ensure that evaluation processes and findings get used. U-FE is “evaluation
done for and with specific intended users for specific, intended uses (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012) . There are nine
steps that should be used in the process and if the evaluation is not used with
all the steps, then it is useless. The first step is to conduct a readiness
assessment. Second, identify the primary intended users and develop a working
relationship with them. Third, conduct a situational analysis. Fourth, identify
the primary intended uses. Fifth, focus on the evaluation. Sixth, design the
evaluation. Seventh, collect, analyze, and interpret the evaluation data. Eighth,
continually facilitate evaluation use. Lastly, the ninth step is to conduct a
metaevaluation - an evaluation of the evaluation. An evaluation that is not
used in an organization serves no purpose.
Both of the methods, in my opinion,
are beneficial to the classroom because it provides everyone to be a part of
the process and the implementing of the evaluation models that will be used in
their environment.
- Reflect
on what other questions that instructional design evaluation should
address besides whether the instructional design leads to comparable
amounts of learning and learner satisfaction as traditional methods.
Should return on investment and management of resources also be considered
in evaluations of instructional programs? What other measures should/could
be considered?
If I understood this question
correctly, investments and managing resources plays a big part of the
evaluations of instructional programs. I think that most of the time, districts
buy things that they think the schools need and don’t really give it as much
thought as they probably should or they don’t look at all of the fine print
before agreeing to buy something. If a program proves to be highly effective,
then the district should present it to the teachers and if there is a majority
of the teachers who want to implement the evaluation programs, then the district
should then consider it and do the research on it. Once the district buys new
programs, there should definitely be more trainings available or more training
manuals. I’m speaking off what I hear teachers around me complain about. If the
teachers get new programs, and don’t know how to use them, then they won’t, and
then that is just wasted money. I also think that if the schools adopt new
programs, they should somehow, somewhere be implemented in the curriculum to
see how they are being used.
- Section
IV focuses on human performance, performance support systems, knowledge
management systems, and the concept of informal learning. Not all problems
in learning and/or performance require an instructional one. Many times a
non-instructional approach is a more appropriate solution. Identify a
performance problem in your area of work and identify non-instructional
solutions that may help solve the problem. Would better performance
support systems, knowledge management systems, or opportunities for informal
learning solve the problem?
I work as a classroom assistant in
the special education department (not really the teacher) in a high school
setting. I have been working on average with class sizes of no more than 12 in
a class. All of the students in the classes are low. There may be a couple that
are high level for a class or some that are high level but in the low level
category, if that makes sense. A lot of the times, when you have a group of low
students, they tend to have bad behavior. That was the case in these classes. In
these classes, the teachers gave them work assignments that were easy enough
for them to complete for an easy grade. Whenever there was a behavior issue,
the student got a threat to go to their Assistant Principal or get a referral. In
the department I work in, they didn’t really focus on things like solving the problem
because of the type of students and backgrounds they had, unfortunately.
References
Reiser, R. A., & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Defining
the Field. In Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology
(pp. 1-34). Boston: Pearson.
I too thought that Brinkerhoff's Success Case method and Patton's Utilization-Focused Evaluation applied well to a teacher who wanted to evaluate their instruction. I felt the U-FE model is utilized by a teacher in their every day classroom as they evaluate the success of a lesson or even after they evaluate an assessment to continually determine what changes needed to be made. I also felt that districts should seek more teachers input before they invest in a new program, whether its a new textbook or a new web hosting site. I have seen on more than one occasion where the district spent a lot of money on a program that just didn't work for teachers in practice, therefore they couldn't get teacher buy-in. Eventually those programs go away. What a waste of money. Thanks for your post.
ReplyDeleteHi Kenya - You provided a very thorough summary of Brinkerhoff's Success Model and Patton's Utilization Focused Evaluation (U-FE). I agree that both methods are beneficial to the classroom and it's great that everyone gets to be involved in the process. However, I did not see a description of how you would use them to evaluate your instruction. I'm not a teacher myself, so I had to think of something outside of the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI completely understand how frustrating it is for a district to purchase things for teachers without including them in the process and then not providing the proper support. As I stated in another blog, working in technical services, I hear this quite often, but get to see the other side of things. As wonderful as it would be to include everyone in the decision making process when purchasing new technology or programs, it is just not possible, especially in larger districts. There would be no way to please everyone. Speaking for my own district, we have a department dedicated to just that. They are always evaluating what we have and what we need and making those decisions along with the financial and administration department. However, I do agree that unlimited training and support should be a given for however long it is needed.
Classroom assistants play such a vital role to the students and teachers, especially in special education. It must be a completely different set of guidelines and rules when working in this department. I'm not sure how one could adjust the discipline guidelines in such a unique setting with predominantly poor behavior. I think all three, better support, knowledge management and informal learning opportunities would benefit this type of class. Our district has an ever growing special education department and I hope these types of issues are of major concern and focus. I spent some time in a similar setting years ago. The instructor was pretty much on his own. He had to learn each students triggers, strengths, weaknesses, and level of cooperation. Even though he was very good at what he did, everyday was a complete do over and what worked the day before was not guaranteed to work again. He was constantly juggling - one student wanted to stay on the computer all day, the other was trying to leave the class, the other would not come out from underneath the table and then there were 2 or 3 students quietly sitting at a table working on a math lesson. God Bless special education!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry, I clicked publish before I was finished. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is good to read a another different perspective. I thought that your definitions of the evaluation models were right on track. Although it is hard to please everyone when making technology decisions, support must be swift and thorough. I also would like to point out that sometimes in our district the principals don't even get a say in what programs are purchased.
It takes a special kind of person to work in a inclusion classroom. Thank you