1. How do the definitions in the first chapter compare to your own definition of instructional or educational technology? What experiences or other influences have shaped your definition? How has your definition changed from examining the definitions in the first chapter of this book?
1. My initial thoughts and ideas of what instructional
or educational technology is, is when the district, schools, and teachers
provide the students with various methods and tools to help better their learning
experiences. The students are provided with technology as a visual aid tool for
a more hands-on approach to learning. Technology can be incorporated into as
many subjects as possible because with the different technology tools that are
available, it makes learning more exciting and more interesting for the
students. Google defines educational technology as the study and ethical
practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using,
and managing appropriate technological processes
and resources. According to the text, there has been an evolution of names and
definitions to what we know now as instructional technology. The text describes
instructional technology as the use of instructional media, such as film,
pictures, and lantern slides, that is presented to the learners. During the
1960s and 1970s, people in the education field started to think instructional
technology was viewed more as a process. According to Finn (1960),
instructional technology should be viewed as a way of looking as instructional problems
and examining feasible solutions to those problems. And Lumsdaine (1964),
indicated that educational technology could be thought of as the application of
science to instructional practices (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). As time/years
went on, more research was done and more educators came forward with what they
thought the term meant, and eventually came up with new, more in depth
definitions that included different learning theories and more up to date
technology. In 2008, the AECT committee came up with a definition that sums up
all of the previous definitions from over the years that many people have used.
The definition I presented at first, “Educational technology is the study and
ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by
creating, using, and managing appropriate technological process and resources,”
is the latest definition that we associate with in the school systems. To me, I
was on the right path as to knowing what educational and instructional technology
was overall. However, I learned that there were many definitions a long time
ago and it took a lot of research and professionals to get to the definition we
know now. My definition hasn’t changed from one thing to another, I just was
able to build more on to what I knew from all of the background information.
2. Next, think of a lesson or unit of instruction that you have developed. Or if you haven’t ever taught or developed instruction, think of one that you have received. How does that lesson adhere or fail to adhere to the six characteristics of instructional design? How would you redesign it to better adhere to the six characteristics.
2. I did a lesson while I was
student teaching with 4th graders. Most of my lessons dealt with
grammar rules and punctuation. I normally did my lessons the same way: I would
introduce the lesson, give a small lecture, a small lecture with
video/interactive (and sometimes an interactive review of the lesson/topic),
then followed by a hands-on (group) activity, and then finish off with an independent
work assignment. I believe for the most, my lessons followed the six
characteristics of instructional design. My lessons were focused more on what
the students got out of the lessons and what they did or did not understand.
The goals I set for the classes were majority met by the students and the
teacher (me). The performance that I looked for was engagement, paying attention,
asking questions, and on task, which I got that every time. I assumed that the
students would have a better understanding of certain grammar and punctuation
rules by the end of the lesson from the different methods of instructions that I
gave them, and then I would check for understanding by the independent work. I would
have liked to incorporate more interactive and self-correcting tools than I used.
If a student asked me a question, I would ask them what they were thinking and
why and then guide them to an answer. I don’t understand what it means by team
effort, exactly, but I probably could have improved in that area. Most of my
lessons were done by me, and at the end, I got critiqued by mentors and
principals for their feedback. So, if I had to redo the lessons, I would add in
more interactive tools and more members for support of guidance.
3. In the 3rd chapter, Reiser distinguishes instructional media from instructional design, excluding teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition of instructional media. Why? Would you consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks instructional media? Is the purpose of instructional design to incorporate media into instruction?
3. I think Reiser excluded teachers,
chalkboards, and textbooks from instructional media because every physical
means of instructional delivery, from the live instructor to the textbook to
the computer and so on, would be classified as an instructional medium…and the
three primary means of instruction prior to the twentieth century-the teacher,
chalkboard, and textbook-have been categorized separately from other media ((Reiser &
Dempsey, 2012). Instructional design focuses on a set of guidelines or process
to meet the learning goals and needs of the learner. Instructional media is a
part of the instructional design and can be used as a tool in the instructional
design. Teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks, in this case, aren’t the types of
visual aids the students use as a method of learning and they are so common
from way back when we thought of school from decades/centuries ago, that’s what
we thought about. When I first hear instructional media, I would not consider
teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks as instructional media because of the
times we are in now, chalkboards and textbooks aren’t really used anymore
unless a textbook is online. Teachers don’t lecture as much, they use visual
aids as instructional videos and more. I don’t think the whole purpose of
instructional design is for incorporating media into instruction, but it should
be a tool or guideline for instruction. Instruction, to me, should have a
rubric, and one of the guidelines should be to include some type of media into
the lesson.
Reference:
Reiser, R. A., & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Defining
the Field. In Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology
(pp. 1-34). Boston: Pearson.
I believe everyone had the same initial thoughts on what instructional design was before we read the chapters. the definition has definitely changed over the past 40 years, and I expect it to change even more as the years go by and technology evolves into a greater being. I do know we have to ensure we are able to meet the demand and needs as well. I have enjoyed your post and your thoughts on the History of Instruction Design and Technology.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYour personal definition of instruction or educational technology is similar to mine. It is amazing how the definition of one word can change so many times throughout the years. As technology and education progress, I believe that the definition of instructional technology will eventually change again.
ReplyDeleteKenya,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your point about technology being a resource for ALL subject areas. I observed a band class recently, and found that they use technology to help students practice their instrument! Who knew that even band classes use technology!?
I liked your lesson organization for instruction over grammar skills. I can see how your implementation would fit the six characteristics. I understand your thinking of wanting to have more input and collaboration with other teachers for your lessons. My campus implemented a PLC time this year, which allows for us to work together and create lessons. It's nice to have a lesson and hear feedback from my peers on how to improve it. Great job and thanks for your post!